Opinions: Providing "buildsys-macros" in the installed system

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Thu Mar 29 16:10:57 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 11:31 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
[...]
>>> E.g. try to implement custom /usr/lib/rpm/<target>/macros for an exotic
>>> target ... redhat-rpm-config causes this not to be used. rpm -e
>>> redhat-rpm-config magically makes this work ... (And this is only the
>>> tip of the iceberg :( ).
>> Like you said, "the more exotic..." I think you're trying to do some
>> things that the vast majority of users don't and shouldn't do.
>
> That's the problem "99%" of users don't do ... has led to bugs
> interfering with the remaining "1%".
>
>>  Sounds like you have a work-around already too.
>
> Well, I am working on it. So far my work around is to ban
> redhat-rpm-config from the system I am using to build these rpms.
>
>>  Not to say that if it isn't
>> straight-forward enough we shouldn't fix up redhat-rpm-config to play
>> nice in this situation, but I don't think its something that is going to
>> be high-priority on most people's todo list.
>
> Of cause, I don't expect "immediate" reaction. Fact is, I am complaining
> about this for years, but NOTHING has happened on RH's part. Instead I
> am seeing things getting gradually worser with each Fedora release.

I'm not aware of the exact nature of prior complaints, so forgive me if
this has already been attempted, but given that this isn't high-priority
for most people, I would think submitting patches to fix the situation
in a way acceptable to all parties would have a better chance of making
headway than simply complaining about it.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com