CD version gone?

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Tue May 1 13:02:09 UTC 2007

If I can be reasonably sure that I can upgrade fedora-release, run yum
upgrade, reboot, and have all my drives show up, I'm happy.  I;ve just
really loved upgrading with yum, because it minimizes downtime.  Add to
that the flaky CD drives on some of my machines, and you see why this is
important.  To me, at least.

Are there any precautions I should take?

> On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 13:59 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>> dragoran wrote:
>> my

>> > only if you don't mount by label
>>
>> I don't think that's right; the PATA drivers in FC7 are modules rather
>> than being compiled into the kernel, and will hence need an appropriate
>> entry in modprobe.conf making so that the initrd includes the necessary
>> module(s). Anaconda will do this but I don't think anything in the yum
>> upgrade process will take care of this.
>
> mkinitrd is actually pretty smart about this these days; the entries in
> modprobe.conf are used as hints to ordering more than anything else
>
> Jeremy
>
> --

novus ordo absurdum