F7T4 install problems on VMware...

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Tue May 1 20:02:55 UTC 2007

G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 11:34:38PM +0200, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
>> Hi there...
>>
>> I've been trying to install F7T4 on VMware workstation 6 (RC) but haven
>> been successful yet. Have tried both i386 and x86_64 and the same thing
>> happens every time. When anaconda has built dependencies and is ready to
>> proceed, anaconda bails, leaving a python backtrace on the screen. I
>> have the option to save the debug info to a floppy, but that doesn't
>> work either.
>>
>> I just wanted to know if this is a known issue that I've missed. Perhaps
>> a problem with the not-yet-final VMware Workstation 6 or if I need to
>> file a bug.
>>
>> /Thomas
>
> Everything depends on what the backtrace and error being reported are.
> Switch to text console VT2 (ctrl-alt-F2) to get a command window;
> then cd to /tmp and cp the file anacdump.txt to a safe location (like
> a floppy :-)
>
> There are a couple of open bugs on anaconda at that poin of the install
> and you may want to add information to one of them.
>
> My question is if it is the LVM/vgchange activation bug. It's kind of
> intermittent depending on the memory configuration of the machines.

It looks like you're right...

--8<-----
Traceback (most recent call first):
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/lvm.py", line 63, in lvmExec
     raise LvmError, args[0]
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/lvm.py", line 109, in vgactivate
     rc = lvmExec(*args)
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/partitions.py", line 1323, in doMetaDeletes
     lvm.vgactivate()
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/packages.py", line 143, in turnOnFilesystems
     anaconda.id.partitions.doMetaDeletes(anaconda.id.diskset)
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 203, in moveStep
     rc = stepFunc(self.anaconda)
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 126, in gotoNext
     self.moveStep()
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/text.py", line 605, in run
     anaconda.dispatch.gotoNext()
   File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 954, in <module>
     anaconda.intf.run(anaconda)
LvmError: vgchange failed
Log:

Local variables in innermost frame:
args: ('vgchange', '-ay', '-v')
--8<-----

Increasing virtual (VMware) memory to 512M (from 384) allows me to
continue...

I've added information to bug #236643, i guess that's the one you were
thinking of?

/Thomas