Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93)

nodata lsof at nodata.co.uk
Tue May 1 22:27:34 UTC 2007

Am Dienstag, den 01.05.2007, 14:15 -0400 schrieb Michael Wiktowy:
> On 5/1/07, nodata <lsof at nodata.co.uk> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, den 01.05.2007, 11:29 -0500 schrieb chasd:
> > > My recommendation :
> > >
> > > Fedora 7 Base Install ( CD or DVD )
> > > Fedora 7 Base Live CD ( also installable )
> > > Fedora 7 KDE Live CD ( also installable )
> > > Fedora 7 Inclusive Repository ( network Installable )
> > >

> > Nobody but technical people will follow what "base" or "base install"
> > means, let alone "Inclusive Repository".
>
> I agree ... how about:
>
> Fedora 7 Standard Install/LiveCD (containing a well-integrated default
> selection suitable for the new Linux user ... GNOME desktop with
> tweaks)
>
> As "standard" has a well known, non-techie meaning of something
> default or some reference that you can compare other similar things to
> (i.e. the gold standard)
>
> Other spins can be named by their main feature that deviates from the standard:
> Fedora 7 GNOME Install/LiveCD (with "pure" GNOME desktop)
> Fedora 7 KDE Install/LiveCD (with "pure" KDE desktop)
> Fedora 7 XFCE Install/LiveCD (with "pure" XFCE desktop)
> Fedora 7 Rescue LiveCD (with all the tools needed to fix things)
> Fedora 7 World DVD (with everything you can cram on a DVD and more)
>
> Just a thought,
> /Mike

This is all getting too complicated. Maybe that's a sign.

Perhaps we should ditch the non-Live CD version of Fedora 7, and just
have:

* Fedora 7 Live! (with Gnome)
* Fedora 7 Live! KDE edition.

Plus a note saying the operating system can run from the media directly,
or be installed to the hard disk, or used as a rescue disc.

On a separate note, I really can't imagine Live discs being used
extensively for day to day use- they get no security updates. But this
is a separate, and different issue.