F7T4 -- I tried the Nouveau driver from the LiveCD and hit major problems

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed May 2 21:19:05 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, dragoran dragoran <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> maybe adding a warning when turning it on in system-config-display might
> help?
> a popup like "if you are using this driver your computer might explode; you
> have been warned!"
> well not this but something similar (someone who doesn't know what he is
> doing wouldn't enable it in xorg.conf)

And my answer to this.... if anyone is manually selecting a driver
from the list..ever... then its that user's responsbility to know
whether its going to work or not.  If you are going through the
trouble of picking your own driver, you sure as hell better have a
solid idea as to what driver to pick instead of blithely scanning over
the driver names and assuming a particular driver is the one you want.

The auto-detection is doing the right thing, its setting up the nv
driver. I see no reason to protect users from themselves when they are
delibrately exploring non-recommended options. You might as well put a
warning up for each and every driver that a user manually selects
regardless of the hardware they are using.

I'm still not too thrilled about the potential here to see this driver
updated multiple times as f7 updates, that all users will need to
consume even though its not a part of any hardware auto-detection
scheme.  Is there anyway we can make this driver optional, so that
default install targets don't include it and only people who want to
screw around with it get it installed?

-jef"bets that if a xorg driver were named crackrock, some people
would try to use it just cuz its there"spaleta