F7T4 -- I tried the Nouveau driver from the LiveCD and hit major problems

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu May 3 02:17:23 UTC 2007

MC> Why do you think the driver will have to be continuously revved in
MC> F7 ? I would assume that we keep tracking nouveau development in
MC> rawhide, and only push F7 updates when there is a major step
MC> forward in features or stability that makes it worthwhile.

Well, consider why it's being included in the first place.  If it's
there so that people can try it out, the last thing we want is them
trying out a version that's months old and then annoying the
developers with bug reports for an ancient version.  Besides, with
software this early in its lifetime, every bugfix is a major step
forward.  If it's going to languish, it would probably be better to
not ship it at all, but I think having it and updating it often would
be best.  The package is only a third of a megabyte, after all.

The whole thing is blocked on TTM in any case, so I don't really
expect that things are going to progress very quickly for a while.

 - J<