F7T4 - sendmail & sm-client hang at boot

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Thu May 3 13:49:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Pat Kane wrote:
> Just installed F7T4 on my workstation, the sendmail and sm-client hangs
> (60 sec timeout?) are back.
> I think I worked around the problem on FC6 by hiding the
> /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S80sendmail
> script, that works okay for me since I have no use for sendmail.
> Is there a better fix?

  That I've almost always seen, when sendmail does that, it's because there
isn't a network interface up, and therefore it can't talk to a DNS server.
(Or just the latter -- IIRC, it wants to get DNS replies and will pout
for a while if it can't.)  ISTR first encountering this while visiting an
ISP back in '99.  Somewhat worrying that the novice Linux user was the one
to figure it out... ;-)

      Jima