Proposal ocaml guidelines

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri May 4 09:44:09 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede wrote:
> The proposal I mailed to the list yesterday is now available here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/OCaml

What's the thinking behind removing *.mli by default?  Even in packages
which are well documented, the *.mli files are the definitive reference
for programmers.  I think they should always be in the -devel subpackage.

Debian even include *.ml files in certain situations:

$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08.3/list.ml
ocaml-nox: /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08.3/list.ml

Along the same lines I notice that there is no version information in
the path.  Early on Debian used the major.minor format (eg.
/usr/lib/ocaml/3.06/) but they found out the hard way that the *.cmo &
*.cmx format can change incompatibly on every release (even bugfixes) so
they now put the full version number in the path.  See:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-ocaml-maint/2005/01/msg00067.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ocaml-maint/2005/01/msg00050.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ocaml-maint/2005/01/msg00056.html

Rich.

--
Emerging Technologies, Red Hat  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/
64 Baker Street, London, W1U 7DF     Mobile: +44 7866 314 421

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA) and David
Owens (Ireland)