bcm43xx_mac80211 (was Re: Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93))

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Mon May 7 12:46:06 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 01:48:53PM +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Will Woods wrote:

> >You might have to blacklist the old driver first if you're using the new
> >one:
> >
> ># echo 'blacklist bcm43xx' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> >
> >But at this point you should be able to reboot and have working
> >wireless. Hooray!

> It should but it doesn't for me. Neither anaconda nor installed system
> created a device for the wireless card, while on FC6 and F7T1 LiveCD it
> worked without problems. These steps only lead to initializing the card by
> the driver (or what does it do), but device (even after reboot) isn't still
> there (i.e. for me that the eth1 device does not exist). I attach dmesg and
> lspci output. Any clues?

You have a bcm4318 device.  This is probably the most problematic of
the bcm43xx devices.  FWIW, the ones I have work fine.  But, others
have problems.  Does your work better if you get physically close to
the AP (2-3 meters or less)?

You may wish to continue using the bcm43xx driver, and blacklist the
bcm43xx-mac80211 driver instead.  If so then you will also need to

Hth!

John
--
John W. Linville