[Guidelines Change] Conflicts

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon May 7 15:22:56 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 09:20 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> A new document was added to the Packaging/ hierarchy: Conflicts.
> This document is also linked from the Packaging/Guidelines.
>
> For convenience, the contents of the current Packaging/Conflicts policy
> is presented below:

Might be appropriate to have some mention of multilib -- that it's
_acceptable_ to have the same package for two different architectures
both providing the same file in /usr/bin -- which strictly speaking is a
conflict.

And then, of course, I'd like to recommend the guideline set out in bug
#235757 -- that any binary package which is _expected_ to be installed
in both flavours in order to get both sets of libraries in their
respective %_libdir should _not_ also have conflicts in /usr/bin -- the
binaries should be in a separate binary package. (Like we did for hal +
hal-libs recently).

--
dwmw2