F7 Zope package

David G. Mackay mackay_d at bellsouth.net
Mon May 7 17:40:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 11:00 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> The zope developers have *HAD* half a year to prepare and they've still
> made zero serious progress.  And even in this thread, people are saying
> that once Zope supports it that's not enough and that there is still
> plone and who knows how long that will be.  And what about when we move
> to python 2.6?  We've then dug the hole that "well, we'll do compat
> shims so that you don't have to keep up" and someone has to do it again.

So Zope Corp is obligated to drive their development efforts based upon
what Red Hat finds to be esthetically pleasing?

> Compat packages are a crutch that massively magnify the amount of effort
> required to support a distribution and that never goes away.

You keep saying that it's a massive effort.  Would you point us to some
documentation outlining the work required?  Also, how much work is
required of Red Hat employees?  As a casual observer, I just don't see
it, and I might be a lot more sympathetic if I had a better idea.

The "never goes away" portion of the statement is patently untrue.

Dave