F7 Zope package

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon May 7 18:06:20 UTC 2007

Le lundi 07 mai 2007 à 12:40 -0500, David G. Mackay a écrit :
> On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 11:00 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>
> > The zope developers have *HAD* half a year to prepare and they've still
> > made zero serious progress.  And even in this thread, people are saying
> > that once Zope supports it that's not enough and that there is still
> > plone and who knows how long that will be.  And what about when we move
> > to python 2.6?  We've then dug the hole that "well, we'll do compat
> > shims so that you don't have to keep up" and someone has to do it again.
>
> So Zope Corp is obligated to drive their development efforts based upon
> what Red Hat finds to be esthetically pleasing?

So the Fedora Project is obligated to drive its development efforts
based upon what Zope Corp finds to be esthetically pleasing?

Fedora is not a single-app distro, it targets an optimum composed of all
the apps it ships, and if Zope Corp is unable to fit in this target,
that's too bad for Zope. The writing was on the wall when the F7 release
cycle started, if you want to go in panic mode now, do it on Zope
forums.

> > Compat packages are a crutch that massively magnify the amount of effort
> > required to support a distribution and that never goes away.
>
> You keep saying that it's a massive effort.  Would you point us to some
> documentation outlining the work required?  Also, how much work is
> required of Red Hat employees?  As a casual observer, I just don't see
> it, and I might be a lot more sympathetic if I had a better idea.

You obviously never have been involved in a big packaging effort.
Workarounds and crutches do not integrate, they just accumulate and call
for other workarounds till the whole project crumbles. Particularly if
the upstream calling for workarounds considers they're no problem as
history tends to repeat itself.

--
Nicolas Mailhot