Yum-presto utilities

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Mon May 7 20:07:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 21:16 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 07 May 2007 21:27:04 +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
>
> > I've finally got a copy of createprestorepo that I'm (mostly) happy
> > with, along with a couple of other small utilites:
>
> > * prunerepo - This is actually FI's RepoPrune with a few small
> >   modifications to make it useful for local mirrors.
> >   http://www.lesbg.com/jdieter/presto/prunerepo-0.1.0.tar.bz2
>
> The way you've modified it, you could also have used "repomanage" from
> yum-utils instead. Essentially, you've removed the feature that
> distinguishes RepoPrune from repomanage and which makes it ~4x faster. In
> short: RepoPrune only compares src.rpm EVRs and kills all orphaned binary
> rpms, which refer to a non-existant src.rpm. This only works with
> a repository, where every binary rpm must have a "mother" src.rpm.

Yeah, don't mind me.  I seem to enjoy re-inventing the wheel.  :)  Ah,
well, it didn't take that long as I mostly just pulled out the code that
matches the "mother" src.rpm to the binary rpms.

The only reason I posted it was for completeness; it's what I'm using
for the test presto server.  Prunedrpms needs some form of repository
management before it can recognize the old drpms, and prunerepo (as well
as repomanage) fits the bill.

> I was afraid of releasing it as an executable script, since without
> modifications it is destructive whenever a repository does not match the
> Fedora Extras repository layout. ;-)
>
> The three "assert" calls are one of the few safety measures in RepoPrune.
> They are better executed always and without "assert", because I think
> optimised Python code might drop them.

They're just there to test and make sure that compareEVR is working the
way it's supposed to?  Better safe than sorry, though I wouldn't expect
compareEVR to suddenly reverse how it works...right?

Jonathan