Release Eng Meeting Recap 2007-May-07

John Poelstra poelstra at
Mon May 7 22:54:12 UTC 2007

== Status of the Merge ==
 * f13
   * I'm poking at some software bill wrote a while ago to build package repos out of Koji.  
   * I'm somewhat close to having a repo of packages created in a test environment.
   * expected to be at this point on Thursday, but well, we all forgot about ppc64
   * some of the extras importing didn't go as quickly as I 'd hoped.
   * plan for now I _think_ it will be koji -> repo of packages as rawhide
   * people can use pungi to make installable trees, I'll probably make one somewhere.
   * I need to work on the multilib stuff to make sure it's multilibbing like distill did.
   * no plan yet around needsign/package signing
   * ppc64 things are still uploading/importing; build status is unknown
   * found a few things that didn't have matching NVRs did not build--libupnp-1.4.3-1.fc7 for example
 * warren 
   * volunteers to be "bit mover" while f13 is at the Red Hat Summit
 * jwb
   * need a document explaining how to get your package into the release... something like "If you did FOO before the merge, here is how to do FOO now"
   * will take a crack at the before/after document 
 * lengthy technical discussion around using auto-add script and building packages with koji 
   * all builds must be performed manually
   * no specific decisions were made
   * notting will work on getting automated builds working over the next three days
 * notting 
   * there's some stuff that won't build due to various errors - i've filed some bugs, but still have more to file
     * ocaml and maven are being worked on
     * things that BR mono will need ifarched
     * i'll try and attack maven again later *ugh*
     * everything on the missing dep tracker should be OK now
     * 1224 SRPMS built so far, give or take a few
 * using ibiblio--mmcgrath and f13 will discuss at Summit

== mirror layout and getting bits to said mirror ==
 * f13
    * Since we're still doing Extras for 6/5, perhaps we just tie into that rsync process to get development synced as well?  Compse rawhide to the place that is servied by buildsys: rsync?
    * symlinks or hardlinks are the plan.
 * nirik: proposed mirror layout changes look sane
 * No formal decisions made

== Building Rawhide ==
 * not going to have a post-fc7 rawhide until fc7 goes gold
 * important to be able to use rawhide to tackle F7 blocker BZs
 * rawhide push will be good for checking EVR and broken deps issues.
 * can't make rawhide automated today; will try to enable eventually.  No date set.
 * nirik: should we eventually revisit signing rawhide? 
    * would possibly make it so yum could detect what repo a package was from and help with all the repotag nightmares?
    * f13:
     * I'd like rawhide to be signed, with the buildsystem throwaway key but that'll involve an automated signing system.
     * we have a signing system; manual or automated
 * discussion of getting a "real" rawhide working before we branch and also how/when to branch
   * no decision reached

== F7 Blocker List ==
 * 104 open bugs
 * 17 Days until release
 * wwoods
   * will do some blocker bug triage
   * will loudly announce
 * some bugs might not be getting addressed because developers are waiting for builds of rawhide

== Schedule Slip ==
 * f13
   * not entirely convinced we'll be ready for deep freeze by Thursday, though probably 'frozen enough to branch cvs'
   * okay with more slipping because what we just did (merge) was _huge_ and we're not coming back online as fast as I hoped we would.
   * can't feel good about deep freezing only a couple days after a merged repo shows up.
 * decision reached:  
   * slip 1 week on the freeze and re-evaluate blockers next week
   * no explicit decision made on GA date
   * state that merger took longer/more effort than panned for 
   * need more time for rawhide to settle down a bit and maintianers to get their builds in.

== Build System Outage ==
 * outage on Wed for about an hour and a half. We're getting some new filers installed. 
 * Time: TBD

More information about the fedora-devel-list mailing list