Sun just released the JDK under the GPL implications for F8 / F9?

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Tue May 8 20:37:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-05 at 22:42 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Well thats really all I've to say about this, not much really, but I'm kind
> hoping this will be the start of a very interesting thread :)

Just FYI:  a few of the leaders Fedora's java stuff are at JavaOne this
week so I doubt they'll have time to respond that quickly.

I speak with no authority but I'm sure we'll have OpenJDK in Fedora 8 if
not some time in the Fedora 7 cycle.  There are still the encumbered
bits to work out in the short term.  In the longer term, we need to
think about platform coverage.  I'm confident, though, that we'll have
an openjdk alternative (as in alternatives) soon.
fedora-devel-java-list is where most of the discussion will take place,
I imagine.

HTH,

Andrew