Legality of Fedora in production environment - eula

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat May 12 01:28:53 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
>> Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
>>>
>>> In the meantime, you should try to scan/take photos of these
>>> certificates, put them up on the web, and send a link to the images
>>> to this thread.
>>
>> Well,
>>
>> Some good example:
>> (ALTLinux is on of the leading local russian distributions):
>>
>> in English:
>> ftp://ftp.altlinux.ru/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/4.0/Server/license.txt
>> in Russian:
>> ftp://ftp.altlinux.ru/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/4.0/Server/license.txt.ru
>>

> We have something similar at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Licenses/EULA
Currently it finishes with:
Copyright (C) 2003, 2004, 2005 Fedora Project.  All rights reserved.

Does this mean changes made in 2006/7 won't be covered ?
Do we need to include any year in which changes/work has been performed
{or perhaps a range}.

I am not sure whether the copyright notice is intended to protect the
EULA, or the fedora distribution itself ;)

From:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#noc

It suggests only the first year of publishing should be included. But it
isn't clear whether FC6 is a different work to FC7, and hence should
only show it's year of publishing ?
In my mind, FC7 is not a "re-print" of FC6 with some typos fixed - it is
more a new work. What would rh legal say about this ?

DaveT.