PowerTOP tool released; time to fix the wasted laptop power on fedora?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Sun May 13 21:38:27 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:

>> Cool thing, just tried it on rawhide with the not-so-unexpected result
>> where the top is liferea and epiphany followed by usb, XOrg and
>> eth0.... But what I didn't expect was the power usage and count of
>> wakeups:
>> Wakeups-from-idle per second :  413.0
>> Power usage (ACPI estimate) :   1.1 W (2.4 hours left)
>>
>> 1.1 W? That is really low IMO... Really, really interesting. Hope this
>> tool helps to improve linux powersaving capabilities in the future.
>> Keep the good work :-)
>>
>> Martin
>>

> I looked once more at the power usage: 1.1W... is it OK? Shouldn't there
> be 11W? I have quite ordinal laptop with Intel Celeron M 420, I don't
> think such low power usage is possible on this... Any idea? And well, I
> have the 1.1 version of PowerTOP.
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

As kernel says:
# cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          discharging
present rate:            1212 mA
remaining capacity:      262 mAh
present voltage:         13759 mV

the power usage should be around 16 W. Is it a bug in the PowerTOP, or is it
supposed to mean something different (currently it shows 1.2 W)?

Thanks,
Martin