Legality of Fedora in production environment

Benjamin Kosnik bkoz at redhat.com
Mon May 14 07:33:24 UTC 2007

Hey dudes.

You'll find an A4-sized certificate, based on the Fedora EULA, and an
A9-sized certificate of authenticity here:

http://people.redhat.com/bkoz/fedora_certificates/

The plan would be to combine:
http://people.redhat.com/bkoz/fedora_certificates/a4_certificate_3_blank.jpg

with the correct, locale-specific EULA, like so for en_US:
http://people.redhat.com/bkoz/fedora_certificates/a4_certificate_3_en_US.jpg

Then, for the individual machines you should be able to make stickers with:
http://people.redhat.com/bkoz/fedora_certificates/a9_certificate.jpg

I suspect you'll find that this will go down better with pencil-pushers
if you add some flash. Adding a metallic strip behind the A9 sticker
will do nicely.

The inkscape SVG files are in this directory, so if you need to edit
this or alter the image use the inkscape file, not the jpg. In
particular, you'll need to do the edits for the Russian locale yourself,
as I didn't see the EULA for other locales.

It would be pretty fun to print out a sheet of the A9 stickers and hand
them out to fedora users at the next FUDcon or linux meeting. It would
be even more fun to have an "authentication" party with libations, since
the idea of an "authentic" linux install is pretty humorous to me.

> In theory you could store each "license document" owner name you hand out
> and invite them to enter it into a web form for verification and have it
> report the organisation the license is for etc to make it look good.

... of course, doing this server-side and either having the option to
print out the fancy-EULA from the anaconda install screen or adding it
as an option/carrot to the smote agreement would be pretty slick.

However, I leave this bit to others.

best,
-benjamin