hard disk power down

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon May 14 11:38:55 UTC 2007

On 14.05.2007 12:53, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 10:37 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
>> There's another factor here though, as I understand it hard drive
>> lifetime is largely determined by the spin up/spin down frequency. So
>> while it may save a bit of power spinning down more often, this might
>> significantly shorten drive lifetimes. I'd definately want to have an
>> option to disable that, if my understanding is correct.
> Correct, hence why we only want to spin down the drive after a few
> hours, rather than minutes or seconds.

Laptop drives are designed for lots of power spinning cycles (lots more
than server drivers for example). So spinning hard disks in laptops down
after 15 or 20 minutes should be totally fine afaics. Even after a
shorter timeframe (5 minutes) might be fine. But doing the same on the
server might destroy you hard disk quickly.

CU
thl