Legality of Fedora in production environment

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 14 17:57:59 UTC 2007

Simo Sorce wrote:

> Then I guess the burden should be on Fedora in this case. Asking the
> developer of a package (or a packager) to provide a legally verified
> translation to English is a bit too much IMO.

Fedora does not have the legal resources to pursue translations of every
new license that people come up. If the developer does not want to have
this trouble then they should just adopt more commonly used licenses
instead of insisting on more unique licenses that adds to the burden of
maintainers, redistributors and increasing the potential for Free
software silos.

We cannot accept the legal risk of including software under licenses
that we don't understand.

Rahul