Legality of Fedora in production environment

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Mon May 14 20:29:12 UTC 2007

> Simo Sorce wrote:
>

> > Now you can, of course , ask them to trust licenses written for US
> > Common Law and let them hope they apply cleanly in their legal system.
> > But then, they have all the rights to decline the request.
>
> Right. We then decline to include their software in Fedora. Do you see
> another way to deal with this without involving Red Hat legal?

We shouldn't abuse Red Hat legal, but discarding the option a priori
seem a bit hard to me.
What you are implying is that Fedora is an "English" only distribution.
Well, while I have no problems with English, this seem a bit
discriminatory and I don't like it.

I think we can be more pragmatic and be open, and deal with each issue
when it comes up. If, and when, the number of packages with foreign
language licenses will be too high, then we can reopen the discussion
and see if there are more creative ideas on how to solve this issue.

Simo.