Making beagle optional

Jens Knutson jensk.maps at gmail.com
Mon May 14 23:11:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 16:59 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 5/14/07, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I just commited a change to comps which makes beagle optional instead of
> > installed by default. The idea with beagle (and tracker) is nice, but
> > bugs keep on showing up causing the search daemon to use a lot of cpu
> > and/or memory, and this makes the default install look pretty bad.
> >
> > This is somewhat of a feature regression in the default install, but at
> > this point we just don't have the manpower to make it work 100%. But if
> > people want it its still there, and eventually it'll be good enought to
> > turn on by default without affecting the general distro quality.
>
> Thank you my good sir. I hated that thing.

I'm personally really disappointed that Beagle's no longer in the
default install.  This isn't to rag on Alex, or to even disagree with
him - if it's causing bugs like this, then I understand why this had to
be done, at least for now.  But Beagle's a great tool - I use it
*daily*, and while it's no problem for me to simply add it back into my
package set, it's too bad that new users won't have Beagle's great
features out of the box.

I hope that this can be re-evaluated for F8!

 - Jens Knutson

(Preemptive note to Tracker fanboys: I tried Tracker for a few days and
disabled Beagle.  At the end of my testing, I very happily re-enabled
Beagle and removed Tracker completely - Tracker's not a /fraction/ as
useful, Beagle doesn't use much CPU on my system, and RAM usage is
hardly a concern - memory is CHEAP.)