Making beagle optional

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue May 15 10:28:11 UTC 2007

On 5/15/07, Jens Knutson <jensk.maps at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 16:59 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > On 5/14/07, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > I just commited a change to comps which makes beagle optional instead of
> > > installed by default. The idea with beagle (and tracker) is nice, but
> > > bugs keep on showing up causing the search daemon to use a lot of cpu
> > > and/or memory, and this makes the default install look pretty bad.
> > >
> > > This is somewhat of a feature regression in the default install, but at
> > > this point we just don't have the manpower to make it work 100%. But if
> > > people want it its still there, and eventually it'll be good enought to
> > > turn on by default without affecting the general distro quality.
> >
> > Thank you my good sir. I hated that thing.
>
> I'm personally really disappointed that Beagle's no longer in the
> default install.  This isn't to rag on Alex, or to even disagree with
> him - if it's causing bugs like this, then I understand why this had to
> be done, at least for now.  But Beagle's a great tool - I use it
> *daily*, and while it's no problem for me to simply add it back into my
> package set, it's too bad that new users won't have Beagle's great
> features out of the box.
>
> I hope that this can be re-evaluated for F8!
>
>  - Jens Knutson
>
> (Preemptive note to Tracker fanboys: I tried Tracker for a few days and
> disabled Beagle.  At the end of my testing, I very happily re-enabled
> Beagle and removed Tracker completely - Tracker's not a /fraction/ as
> useful, Beagle doesn't use much CPU on my system, and RAM usage is
> hardly a concern - memory is CHEAP.)

I must say that I agree with Jen 100%

I use beagle and firefox beagle plugin all the time and they are real
life savers! I can't imagine my deskop without beagle and deskbar!

I also tried tracked and wasn't impressed.

Please make beagle and deskbar default on for Fedora 7!

There are a lot of new users who would really benefit from these functions.

Is there maybe an option to whip beagle into shape and not to use 100% of cpu?

Is there no other way? Is disabling it really the only option?