hard disk power down (was: Re: PowerTOP tool released; time to fix the wasted laptop power on fedora?)

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue May 15 23:54:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 10:37 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> There's another factor here though, as I understand it hard drive
> lifetime is largely determined by the spin up/spin down frequency. So
> while it may save a bit of power spinning down more often, this might
> significantly shorten drive lifetimes. I'd definately want to have an
> option to disable that, if my understanding is correct.

http://www.samwel.tk/laptop_mode/faq

"Desktop hard drives are usually rated for only 40,000-50,000 spinups,
and one spinup every 10 minutes will kill your 40,000-spinup HD in 277
days. So this is NOT recommended for server use, unless you increase the
spinup interval dramatically, to say once every hour or two. Laptop hard
drives are usually rated for around 300,000 spinups, so those will last
about 2083 days or 6 years if you have them powered on 24-7."