Looking for GUI application programs for experiments

William Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Wed May 16 02:50:03 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 03:28:15PM -0400, William Cohen wrote:
>> linked programs like SPEC CPU to provide workload for the simulator. This
>> is very different than the typical shared-library, GUI application
>
> You know you can catch TLB misses on some real x86 processors I assume ?
>
> (You load the page table entry as missing then when you take the trap you
>  put the entry in, touch the page to load it, and then mark it missing again)
>
> Alan

Hi Alan,

The use of the page table traps might be faster than the valgrind simulator. It
also might simplify some of the analysis; valgrind has a lot of additional pages
for the binary translation. However, the valgrind simulator does everything in
user space and avoid needing root access on the machine.

-Will