Explaining the new suspend quirks functionality in F7

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed May 16 14:33:26 UTC 2007

New in Fedora 7 we have the new pm-utils and hal-info dmi based matching
of suspend quirks. We are doing finer matching to the laptop make and
model, to make suspend (and more importantly resume) work for more
people.

What this means:

* Some machines that suspended in FC6 might not work in F7
* Lots of machines that did not suspend in FC6 might work in F7

So, if you have to edit a file or add stuff to grub to get suspend
working in F7, that's a bug. This stuff should just work on the majority
or laptops.

To help, and to try and make clearer all this new stuff, I've written a
few pages here:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/quirk/quirk-intro.html

This is not the permanent location, nor are these documents finished -
I'm hoping to add more and more content to them over the next few days.

So please point out new ideas, typos or maybe just general questions,
and I'll try to answer then on these pages as best I can.

Feedback welcome,

Richard Hughes