Fedora Rel-Eng Meeting Recap 2007-May-14

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Fri May 18 16:47:25 UTC 2007

Recap and full IRC transcript found here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/Meetings/2007-may-14

Please make corrections and clarifications to the wiki page.

== Rawhide ==
 * Notting put a lot of work into getting rawhide to build again--see IRC log for how it works
 * Discussion of mash and future rawhide building plans

== Current Issues and Freeze Status ==
 * we agreed last week to revisit this week.
 * are we ready to freeze on Thursday?
 * discussion of packages causing problems
   1. beagle
     * re-evaluate beagle and tracker for F8
     * bug #217031
     * maintainer made changes to comps
     * DECISION (UNANIMOUS): Accept maintainer's comps change, making beagle optional.  Include it in manifest so that it is on media for upgrades.
   1. wireless-tools
     * newest wireless-tools has a patch that's supposed to fix 64-bit that actually breaks all wireless scanning on 64-bit systems.
     * https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-commits/2007-May/msg02800.html
     * warren will drive issue to conclusion
     * we not only need x86_64 testers, but also ppc and i386 to be sure the 64bit fix didn't break 32bit.
     * DECISION (UNANIMOUS): If that -3 build turns out to be No Good then we just revert the 64-bit patches entirely and call that -3 (or -4 or whatever)
   1. hal
     * wwoods--hal-0.5.9-6.fc7 fixed the suspend/resume quirks for some stuff (T60 maybe?), but broke it for others (my pitiable t43)
     * without passing the quirks there's no way suspend to work on large classes of laptops
     * ACTION: jeremy will try to get hughsie to take a look--davidz won't be back until the 20th.
   1. mdraid
     * wwoods--the old raidautorun stuff + IDE = doooom
     * wwoods will enage Peter Jones
     * realy need IDE drives to do good testing
     * lots of bugs; BZ: 151653, 231426, 238353, 221696, 213586, 238926
     * wwoods--never tested dmraid because no hardware; f13 is going to test now
     * DECISION: None reached

 * we should direct new packages to updates, not the final tree.
 * f13 will announce and update the freeze/release dates
 * everything must be done and ready for GA on 29-MAY-07

== Outstanding GA Blocker Bugs ==
 * 81 bugs still on the fc7blocker
 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/ReleaseCriteria provides guidance on release blockers
 * DECISION (UNANIMOUS):
   * Blocker only fixes starting Thursday (branch CVS same day)
   * Broken EVR paths and broken deps (including from the Merge) in the entire distro must be fixed before GA
     * wwoods to add this to release criteria

== EULA ==
 * EULA only available online; not in the distro
 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Licenses/EULA