X-Chat in Fedora

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri May 18 20:23:52 UTC 2007

On 5/18/07, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
> I don't think we should prefer the -gnome version just because it
> has the "gnome" in the name...

I was suggesting that perhaps the upstream developers were more
willing to incorporate patches, since that is exactly the issue the
current package maintainer cited as why he's lost interest in the
package.

And to be quite honest, that should be a big ass red flag for any
potential new maintainer. If upstream isn't cooperating and
integrating patchsets adequately from Fedora maintainers, I have to
really question whether or not it makes sense to include that piece of
software into fedora at all if there are multiple alternatives already
in that application space.

Featuresets are at best orthogonal to maintainability, and am not
arguing for for or against any application here on the basis of
featureset. But I will argue, passionately, to drop applications from
the repository which are unnecessarily difficult to work when driving
patchsets upstream.  Caillon's comments suggest to me that maybe in
this case it is....and if so we need to take a really hard look at
whether or not xchat as a project is worth including compared to the
14 million other irc enabled alternatives in the tree.

-jef