RFC: Fedora 8 and KDE 4

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue May 22 08:11:26 UTC 2007

On 22.05.2007 09:39, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 06:55 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 21.05.2007 16:51, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>> Last week, I have prepared a draft document detailing how to go on
>>> with KDE 4 in Fedora as I see it:
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KevinKofler/F8KDE4Plan
>> Quoting from that page:
>>
>>> With Fedora 7 scheduled for the end of this month, assuming the usual
>>> 6-month release cycle for Fedora 8 ("F8"), this means F8 will be
>>> released somewhere around the end of November.
>> There were some *discussion* about Fedora making a more strict releases
>> cycle somewhat aligned to the Gnome release cycle. There was afaik no
>> outcome from those discussions yet, but well, before starting to realize
>> those KDE plans it might be better to see the F8 release schedule first.
>>
>> Even with the current proposed scheme and the estimated Fedora 8 release
>> date according to the old behavior I'd tend to say that schedule is
>> quite ambitious -- just let KDE 4.0 slip two or four weeks and the
>> release of Fedora**8 gets in trouble.
>>
>> Further: all the important people are busy with F7. I'd say this kind of
>> discussion would be better held after F7 is ready.
>>
> You could always release KDE 4.0RCx (as long as it's semi-stable) and
> switch to 4.0 release once it's out.
> It's not like its never been done before. (Again, assuming that KDE 4.0
> reaches a certain maturity during F8 test3/4)

Well, we did that with Gnome for example -- but we know that Gnome
releases happen nearly always when they are scheduled.

Other stuff -- say thunderbird 2.0 for F7 -- afaics get added to rawhide
only when they looked stabled and the release was foreseeable to happen
before the next Fedora is out.

IOW: It's IMHO way to early to discuss replacing KDE 3.5.x in rawhide
with KDE 4.0.

My vote would be to maintain two (one for rawhide, one for F7) add-on
repos dedicated to KDE 4.0 *within* the Fedora project somewhere (¹). If
everything looks promising by the feature freeze for F8 (or earlier)
just import it to rawhide.

CU
thl

(¹) -- I have a proposal for such a general testing and kmod repo in the
scope of the Fedora project. I've written that on the fight back from
Fudcon Boston, but did not release it, as we have bigger problems to
solve ATM before we start thinking about stuff like that