RFC: Fedora 8 and KDE 4

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue May 22 22:04:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 21:34 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jeremy Katz <katzj <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > Why do the devel packages have to conflict?  If the libs are parallel
> > installable, the headers really should be too[1].  Otherwise, there
> > basically has to be a flag day event for things to work.  And that
> > sucks.
>
> I hate -devel conflicts too, but the at least the .so symlinks conflict,

Then things *aren't* parallel installable.

>  and
> the KDE people are also ignoring some other -devel type conflicts (like the
> kconfig_compiler executable, see
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=117947655224722&w=2 ) because they say
> the -devel packages can't be parallel-installed anyway due to the .so
> conflicts. So I don't see any other solution than a -devel conflict. :-(

Conflicts like this just aren't acceptable to have in Fedora because now
_I_ as a developer have to choose which I'm developing apps for.  And if
I'm just building apps that I find online, I'm going to be wanting to
build for both APIs.

And that makes our user experience suck.  If upstream doesn't see that,
then it might be worth doing like we've had to do for some other
libraries to get fully parallel installable even if it's not the path of
upstream :(  But one would hope that when presented with reason and
patches, upstream would be willing to come along.  Because every other
distribution is going to have the same questions, concerns and problems

Jeremy