RFC: Fedora 8 and KDE 4

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue May 22 23:17:59 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz <katzj <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > Or we could install one of the 2 KDE versions into a custom prefix
> > like /opt/kde3 or /opt/kde4, and in fact this is what my current kde*4
> > packages do, but then good bye FHS.
>
> Yeah, that's not very ideal either.

I have another idea: maybe we could:
* have the non-devel stuff (which doesn't conflict) in /usr
* in the kdelibs3-devel package:
- create a /usr/kde3.5 (or whatever Gentoo uses, so existing packages should be
prepared to deal with that setup already)
- symlink all the kdelibs3 stuff in /usr into there
- add the -devel stuff (which does conflict) as regular files (not symlinks)
- point kde-config (not kde4-config) to /usr/kde3.5

I wonder how workable that idea would be.

        Kevin Kofler