RFC: Fedora 8 and KDE 4

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed May 23 08:23:47 UTC 2007

Le Mer 23 mai 2007 09:33, Alexander Larsson a écrit :
> On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 09:15 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>> Please no. -devel conflicts are a lot better than adding new roots.
>> And they shouldn't matter with a proper mock setup
>
> This is not true. They matter to users that want to build both kde3
> and kde4 apps on their systems.

I didn't say they didn't matter.
I said that given other technical solutions exist, and given that
breaking our filesystem organisation has its own drawbacks, -devel
conflicts were probably not the worst solution.

A conflict is a short-term fix that can be removed pretty much as soon
as it's no longuer necessary. Filesystem choices OTOH are a major PITA
to change later because they touch so much stuff
(user/packager/developer habits/scripts/docs, selinux policies) and
tend to spread way out of the initial scope.

--
Nicolas Mailhot