can fedora has the animation grub like suse?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed May 23 17:43:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 08:34:33AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
 > On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 07:54:36AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
 > > We (the desktop team) hope to get rid of the grub menu in the default
 > > boot sequence instead of making it nicer. See
 > >
 > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBetterStartup
 >
 > Putting timeout 0 in grub.conf doesn't work by the way. I've been caught by
 > this and you get situations where the BIOS or driver menus steal one keystroke
 > and grub finishes before the next autorepeat. Then you have to use a rescue
 > CD and hand edit grub.conf which isn't user friendly 8)
 >
 > timeout of a second or so with no text probably works fine although its not
 > a good idea. Hardware vendors put back "hit F12 to ..." type messages for
 > a reason - people lose the manual and can't work out when to hit a key or
 > what to hit so generate support traffic and get annoyed...

Right. It's painful enough already having to walk some users through
"remove 'quiet' from your boot command line" when diagnosing "my computer won't boot"
bugs. Some users have absolutely no idea what this means, and making it
even more hidden is going to raise that barrier further.

If we absolutely must proceed on this path, we want something simple like..
"hold down shift whilst booting" which grub will see and disable 'quiet' mode.
(Though grub won't actually see the key-down event, so that may not be
 such a great idea either.)

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk