iwl3945 status in fedora7

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu May 24 08:29:49 UTC 2007

Steve Hill wrote:

> Since iwlwifi seems to work better for some people and iwl3945 seems to
> work better for others, and neither requires propriatory stuff in
> userland anymore, is there any reason not to ship with both and let the
> user choose the one which works for them?
>
> (I'm using an iwl3945abg in an Acer TravelMate 6413).

AIUI the situation is that i*p*w3945 is the older driver using the older
kernel 80211 stack.  iwlwifi and later i*w*l3945 are both names used for
the same newer driver which uses the newer mac80211 stack in the kernel.
 So they can't really "ship both" iwl3945 and iwlwifi because they are
the same animal.  And there are problems with the openness of the older
i*p*w3945 implementation that have prevented it getting included to
date.  So unless they meddle with the name again, AIUI we will be seeing
only iwl3945 go out in FC7.

-Andy