ifcfg-* files vanishing

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Thu May 24 21:24:12 UTC 2007

On Thursday 24 May 2007 01:15pm, Steve Hill wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2007, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Correct. It will probably create a new (generic) one when the device
> > appears again.
>
> Is there a recommended way to keep persistent configuration information
> for a device (e.g. ESSID, WEP key, etc.)?  Also, should a note be put
> somewhere in the initscripts documentation to warn that this configuration
> is not persistent and will be erased if the device vanishes?

Name the configuration file something else.

When you run "ifup foo", it actually looks for a file named "ifcfg-foo".  If
you use a name that isn't what Kudzu thinks is "default" then you should be
fine.

I didn't think Kudzu would just yank and/or create configs for removed/added
hardware during boot without prompting.  I haven't tried that out on F7 yet
(sigh, so much to test and so little time to do it right now).  Has that
changed?
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.