can fedora has the animation grub like suse?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu May 24 22:21:07 UTC 2007

Le jeudi 24 mai 2007 à 17:05 -0400, David Zeuthen a écrit :
> On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 22:44 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > The only recurrent complaint about our bootloader is people who don't
> > care about it are forced to pay attention due to our current use of
> > flashy vga-16 background.
> >
> > This can be solved by bios-like black & white plain text camouflage.
> >
> > What additionnal purpose removing the grub text altogether or killing
> > the grub timeout window serves, appart from making various user
> > categories miserable? (We've already established some posters do not
> > care about them overmuch. That's not a valid technical argument)
>
> We're discussing defaults here. One camp wants to get rid of eye-sore
> known as the boot loader screen

which you can do just by un-theming it

> because many end users don't or can't use it [1].

That's your personal interpretation
The same people don't or can't use BIOS output, and they don't reject
it.

> Anyway, for the server spin you'd default to
> showing the bootloader screen;

server people have many tools & infrastructure and wouldn't care a lot
about a stupid default. They'd just kickstart the right one.

>  for the desktop (or dare I say "Fedora
> for Human Beings" spin? [2]) spin you wouldn't show it.

Desktop folks need it to access their windows game partition and legacy
un-backuped data

> [1] : and to some people, it makes a ton more sense to configure boot
> options via a dedicated UI (e.g. s-c-bootloader) in the desktop session
> because that's accessible (in the a11y sense), translatable, support
> complex scripts / glyphs and reachable via VNC.

For most people having to configure anything in a dedicated UI is way
worse than a system that just takes care of itself like grub does

--
Nicolas Mailhot