mdraid and hpa upgrade issues

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri May 25 17:06:13 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 12:40:46 -0400,
  Jarod Wilson <jwilson at redhat.com> wrote:

> This late in the game, looks like we're going to stick with what we've
> got right now, which is HPA respected by default, and the ability to
> override it at install time if the installer is booted with
> libata.ignore_hpa=1. First go 'round, those with partitions in the hpa
> are going to get an ugly error message, but we'll stick something in
> F7KnownIssues (or whatever it is) like we did for FC6 documenting the
> work-around.

Maybe we could get setmax into extras. It seems like a tool people might
have use for.

I built it and used it read only and it seemed to work. I got some warnings
about exit because it is missing:
#include <stdlib.h>
But otherwise it compiled cleanly.
I didn't want to try set an HPA on any of my drives, to see if that worked.
I also tested in of FC5, not F7.

I didn't see a license on the page where it is distributed, so someone
would have to check with Brouwer or rewrite it.