pxe

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Fri May 25 21:56:26 UTC 2007

On Friday 25 May 2007 03:05pm, Martin Papadopoulos wrote:
> eric magaoay schrieb:
> > Martin Papadopoulos wrote:
> >> another problem with pxe and f7 rc2
> >>
> >> i tested under vmware with scsi disk as hard drive ( not ide ) and
> >> anaconda says it can't find any disks.
> >> maybe the scsi driver is missing in vmlinuz or in the initrd ?
> >>
> >> greetz
> >>
> >> martin papadopoulos
> >
> > Yes, you are missing the scsi driver that is specific to your hard
> > drive. You will probably need to build a custom boot kernel to build
> > and load the driver during boot time, or just load the specific scsi
> > module during boot time.
> >
> > eric
>
> what is the suggested method here, rebuilding the kernel or mkinitrd ?
> never done any of them under fedora. is there a howto on this ?

There should be absolutely no need to rebuild the kernel.  You need the initrd
to both contain and load the proper SCSI driver that you need (I would guess
you want the VMware one).

You should be able to build the proper driver as an "external module"
(compiling it without having to compile the whole kernel at the same time).
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.