Scons and optimization

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sat May 26 15:29:44 UTC 2007

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 05:30:41PM +0200, Sindre Pedersen Bjordal wrote:

> Two questions: How do I deal with scons on a general basis? and How do I
> deal with scones and optimization in this particular case?

I don't know about scons, but about optimization, some people (Ralf
Corsepius if I recall well) on a fedora list argued that using something
else than -O2 didn't lead to a better optimized binary on all platforms
with all gcc versions, and that benchmarking had to be done for every
gcc option/gcc version on each arch to be able to know whether using this
option leads to an improvement. And also that sometimes upstream
advocated optimization flags without proper testing on all the
arches/gcc versions.

--
Pat