can fedora has the animation grub like suse?

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Mon May 28 19:27:28 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 17:05 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 22:44 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > The only recurrent complaint about our bootloader is people who don't
> > care about it are forced to pay attention due to our current use of
> > flashy vga-16 background.
> >
> > This can be solved by bios-like black & white plain text camouflage.
> >
> > What additionnal purpose removing the grub text altogether or killing
> > the grub timeout window serves, appart from making various user
> > categories miserable? (We've already established some posters do not
> > care about them overmuch. That's not a valid technical argument)
>
> We're discussing defaults here. One camp wants to get rid of eye-sore
> known as the boot loader screen because many end users don't or can't
> use it [1]. The other camp wants it to stay.

having a one line
[ Press <key> within 3 seconds to enter boot configuration ]
is going to be required though.. (just please talk to your own support
department about how important such things are for keeping the costs of
support for a commercial distro down).
Even Windows has something like this..

and if you say "but nobody should use it"... you're right in theory. In
practice....

please design the OS to be user friendly even when things don't go quite
as they should.