For your consideration: Secondary Architectures in Fedora

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue May 29 21:41:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 16:18 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> This is a very early draft of what I am planning on presenting to FESCo
> in the near future:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TomCallaway/SecondaryArchitectures
>
> I am very interested in comments and suggested changes.

"Build failures on secondary architectures are not fatal: if packages
build for the primary architectures, then they will push to the
repositories."

I'm concerned by this -- we would need to be very careful here to ensure
that this isn't a massively retrograde step for these architectures. The
ExcludeArch tracker bugs have been _really_ useful, but there's not a
lot of point in them if we're going to let builds silently fail without
even having an ExcludeArch: in the spec file, let alone a bug filed.

I see no reason why failed builds should be pushed to the repo without
the maintainer even bothering to look at the failure and file a bug
explaining it. Once an architecture is up and running, 'new' build
failures on that arch really aren't very common -- and when they do
happen, they're usually the responsibility of the package maintainer
rather than something the arch experts need to look in to anyway.

Also, please keep the explicit assurance that PowerPC won't be shifted
to 'secondary' status before one other architecture has shown that it
can work.

--
dwmw2