For your consideration: Secondary Architectures in Fedora

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed May 30 17:12:39 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 13:08:47 David Woodhouse wrote:
> There's zero chance of being 'stymied by an arch that just isn't keeping
> up'. You're imagining problems which don't exist. If an arch isn't
> 'keeping up' then it can easily be excluded. All that's required is a
> bug in bugzilla.

That's time involved.  That's effort.  That's starting a build or a chain of
builds only to have it fail for an obscure arch that is not a primary arch.
Perhaps you simply just don't get how koji works.  If a build is failed (and
in your world, if it doesn't build for arm, it failed), none of at that
moment produced output is imported or usable.  The entire build has to be
started over, after adding the exclude arch and filing a bug, waiting for the
_next_ arch to fail.

There is no reason why a secondary arch koji couldn't automatically file a bug
for any build that fails, as according to the proposal, only builds that
succeed on the primary arches would be sent to be built on the secondary
arches.  We _know_ the primary succeeded, therefor we know that if it fails
on the secondary arch there is really a bug.  That takes care of your
notification and tracking.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora