For your consideration: Secondary Architectures in Fedora

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed May 30 19:52:27 UTC 2007

David Woodhouse (dwmw2 at infradead.org) said:
> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 16:00 -0700, Chris Weyl wrote:
> > In other words, by only failing a build when a primary arch fails, we
> > enable the inclusion of many other architectures for those who care
> > about them, without imposing additional burdens on all maintainers
> > (who may not care about them).
>
> We have that already. The existing policy, allowing ExcludeArch but
> requiring a bug to be filed, works extremely well.

That policy was for *PRIMARY* arches. We are talking about secondary
arches here; the arches that Fedora, as a general project, does not
feel is within its release mantra to support, but wants to maintain
the ability for communities to support if they so desire. The
conditions will *and should* be different.

Fedora is about getting new open-source technology into the hands of
users and developers. It's not about insisting a community help people
support their particular CPU fetishes for little return.

Bill