Meaningless name (was: Re: rpms/xchat/devel ...)

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu May 31 21:15:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 16:09 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 19:57 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Matthias Clasen <mclasen <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > > So the two of you simply decided that it would be better for everybody
> > > if the menu item changed from the (somewhat cryptic, but informative)
> > > "IRC" to the totally meaningless "X-Chat" ?
> >
> > X-Chat has a meaning, it's the particular IRC client called X-Chat. There's
> > several IRC clients in Fedora, including one called xchat-gnome which several
> > people think should be the default (in fact, I'd LOVE for it to become the
> > default, not because I actually use it, in fact I hate it, but because that
> > could lead you to leave the regular X-Chat alone!), so "IRC" is very vague as a
> > menu entry.
>
> Yes, IRC is not a very good menu item either, "IRC client" would be a
> bit better, except you really don't want "clients" in the menus. But I
> stand by my claim that X-Chat is totally meaningless to regular users.

I'm a regular user.  I would rather see "X-Chat IRC" or something other
than just "IRC".  Even novice Linux users understand that there are
multiple programs that accomplish the same thing.  Distinguishing
between them in the menus seems like a good idea to me.

(And I have no idea what the compliance issue even is, so this is just a
regular user offering an opinion.)

josh