acctcom for linux

William W. Austin waustin at speakeasy.net
Tue May 1 12:38:26 UTC 2007

I recently made several updates to a Linux version of of acctcom
(actually another accounting add-on package) which I've been using for
several years, and one of the people testing it asked a question which
I cannot answer.  I'm hoping that someone on this list can give me some
info.

I have previously (over a year ago) asked on both this and a couple of
kernel lists (several times there) about this issue, but nobody has
ever answered.  So if you have any info about this, I'd really
appreciate it.

As in many (all?) previous Linux kernels, the struct acct (defined in
/usr/include/sys/acct.h) has members ac_io and ac_rw which are
presumably counts of characters transferred and blocks read/written
respectively.

However, in the kernel code, the ac_io is set to 0 and the ac_rw gets
set to (ac_io/512) or some such - it is set to 0 as well (and thus
these are always reported as 0 in process accounting records.  not good
if you're trying to measure them...).

Does anybody know why this is done that way?  A long time ago (IIRC
late 2.2 and an early 2.4 kernel) I looked into "fixing" this in the
kernel code but was not successful (I finally produced a bootable
kernel, but it was unstable.  Then I changed jobs, got swamped at work,
and eventually gave up).

As I said above, I have previously asked about this issue without
success, and I have essentially given up changing or "fixing" it.

But if anyone knows __WHY__ it is this way (I'm hypothesizing that it's
just too much work for too little added value), I'd really appreciate
knowing the reason.  Curiosity and the cat and all that ...

Thanks
- Bill

william w. austin                               waustin at speakeasy.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."