F7T4: HD-5500 digital HDTV card

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Tue May 1 13:17:21 UTC 2007

Pat Kane wrote:
>  > I just installed F7T4  on my DELL Dimension 1100 test box that has a
> HD-550  pcHDTV
>  > card.   The card is detected (see attached dmesg output), but the
> /dev/ entries are not
>  > present.
>
> I dropped a zero, that should read  HD-5500.

Figured as much...

Basically, at some point in recent history, the addition of support for
(iirc) the HVR-1300 broke cx88-dvb module auto-loading. This has been
fixed in the upstream v4l/dvb tree. The most recent FC6 kernels have
this patch backported, but may not have made its way into 2.6.21.

> Some interesting lines
> from the  dmesg output are given below,
> what does " intel_rng: Firmware space is locked read-only...."   mean?

Not sure exactly, but it shouldn't have anything to do with the HD-5500.
I suspect all you need to do right now is 'modprobe cx88-dvb' and your
HD-5500 should be fine. One way or another, the need to do that should
be eliminated soonish, but in the interim, create a shell scrip
/etc/sysconfig/modules/dvb.modules that does nothing more than modprobe
cx88-dvb and you should be good to go.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com