F7T4 -- I tried the Nouveau driver from the LiveCD and hit major problems

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Wed May 2 17:08:26 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Christopher Stone wrote:
> > On 5/2/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >> Nouveau is nowhere near a state that it could run Compiz. More details
> >> at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureNouveau
> >
> > Including Nouveau in the distro at this stage is probably a bad idea.
> > I think whomever came up with the idea are just too much forward
> > thinking.  Perhaps we should put it on the shelf and revisit it for
> > Fedora X.
>
> Why? It is turned off by default just like the new Intel xorg driver in
> FC6. That did help in users providing feedback when they turn it on
> manually. It fits our mission of progressing Free software. This is a
> important project. Anything that we can do to help is worth the effort.

Because it's almost completely useless at this stage.  It is only
needed for developers, and I just don't think it should be iin a
"stable" release of an OS for a handfull of people who use it for
development purposes.

Nouveau is a pretty high profile project and just about everyone with
an nVidia card is going to want to try it, and I suspect most of them
will be pretty disappointed after their system gets messed up.

I think at a _minimum_ Nouveau should be atleast as good as the nv
driver before including it, otherwise I see no point.

-Xul"Tired of repeating the same thing over and over and over again to
unfortunate n00bs on IRC asking how to fix their system after
installing Nouveau"Chris