bcm43xx_mac80211 (was Re: Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93))

Miles Lane miles.lane at gmail.com
Mon May 7 21:01:45 UTC 2007

On 5/7/07, John W. Linville <linville at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 09:22:51PM +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > >Is the device you're looking for eth1 or something else?
> > Yes, that's it. I should have mention it...
>
> Well, the answer depends on which driver claims the device.  The
> bcm43xx driver will call it "eth1" but the bcm43xx-mac80211 driver
> will call it "wlan0".
>
> I mentioned this situation earlier (maybe in this same thread).
> Unfortunately, upstream isn't ready to move "bcm43xx" to "bcm4301" (and
> make the accomanying PCI ID changes) yet.  I'll have to noodle on this.

I am not sure that there is still a reason to keep the older driver around.
It works on my old bmc4306 rev. 2.  Do we know there are still bcm43xx
devices that the new driver won't work for?

Also, the issue of having both drivers looking to handle the same
device IDs hasn't been resolved.  That is, I've heard that raised as an
issue.

       Miles