F7 Zope package

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue May 8 18:28:06 UTC 2007

Brian Pepple wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 20:02 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Brian Pepple wrote:
>>> No, the reason the idea is being shot down is because the majority of
>>> FESCo does not like the idea.
>> Why? If FESco cannot properly explain itself, I vote that we put this to a vote
>> instead of letting FESco take a decision on their gut feeling.
>>
>> Fedora is supposed to be a democracy (ish) I'm now asking my representatives to
>> explain their decision's / voting.
>
> You can see the discussion in the IRC log for that meeting:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SteeringCommittee/Meeting-20070405

Yes I just read it, and it is very sloppy decision making, I see 2 against (one
verbal, abstained from voting, one vote) and 3 in favor's. And also lots of
unexplored options, for example Jeremy never said what he found of having a
/usr/bin/runzope, the zope maintainer never got asked if he would be willing to
maintain a runzope package, etc.

I urge FESco to bring this back to the table again, and this time do their
"homework". Ask Jeremy if the private copy of python 2.4 inside the zope
package is acceptable, ask the zope maintainer if the is willing todo that.

I know that no matter which way the decision is made, this won't get us a
working zope with the the release. But if a solution is found, then maybe we
can have a working zope as an update, that would look way better in the release
notes, then what boils down to: "If you use zope, go looking for another distro"

Also although I understand Jeremy concerns this FESco decision draws close to
censorship and I don't think thats something which we want.

Regards,

Hans