DeltaRPM works great on Fedora Core 6 (yum presto plugin)

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Wed May 9 07:41:53 UTC 2007

<snip>
> > Finally, when we do get to the point of "do we put deltarpms in the
> > master mirror", *if* we decide *not* to (for the many reasons mentioned
> > by those against the idea), is it possible for yum-presto in Extras to
> > point to the test server in the default .conf file?
>
> Typically we don't allow packages other than fedora-release to add repo files.
> Maybe we could grant an exception for this package for a temporary time
> being, but once a repo file is on, it is difficult to get it off, so wherever
> you point you might want to be willing to at least maintain a redirect to
> somewhere where content lives.

I have a proposal that I would like to run by all interested parties.

As has been covered elsewhere, FI isn't ready to start generating
deltarpms for <insert name of new repository that replaces Core+Extras
here>.  At the moment yum-presto in Extras (for FC6 and F7) doesn't
point to any Presto-enabled repositories.  It does have some commented
out deltaurls in presto.conf that, when uncommented, point to the test
server at http://www.lesbg.com.

The "right" way to set a deltaurl for a repository in yum-presto is to
put it in the repository's .repo file.  ATM, you can also put the
deltaurl in presto.conf, though I keep on saying that that method will
be removed soon.

So, my proposal is this: I would like to be able to uncomment the
deltaurls in presto.conf, even though they point to a non-Fedora Project
url (yes, I know this is against policy).  When (or if) FI starts
generating deltarpms, I would then remove the ability to set deltaurls
in presto.conf from the next version of yum-presto.

All people who upgrade to the new version of yum-presto would no longer
be pointed to the test server and would instead grab the deltarpms
directly from the official repositories.  I would maintain a redirect on
the test server pointing to the official repositories for a long period
of time after the transition has been made.

I would appreciate any comments, flames, or large rocks aimed at my
head.

Jonathan